Our Vision & Role
The NSW Government has established the NSW Stronger Communities Investment Unit to bring together human services data and evidence, and prioritise investment and support for families in highest need.
We work in partnership with human service agencies to design and evaluate strategies that support children and families to reach their goals and improve their outcomes.
We are delivering the landmark Their Futures Matter reform – the NSW Government’s long-term strategy to deliver improved outcomes for vulnerable children, young people, and families.
Our vision and mission
Our vision is to enable children, young people and families early in life and early in need to reach their potential.
Our mission is to create a coordinated service system that delivers evidence-based integrated solutions for children and families and achieves lasting change.
Strategic outcomes and priorities
- Every child gets the best start and families have access to information and opportunity for self service
- A whole-of-government investment approach is in place to ensure more effective and efficient allocation of resources
- Children, young people and families receive a streamlined, multi-disciplinary response appropriate to their needs
- More children and young people are safe at home, reducing entry into OOHC and preventing escalating risk
- Communities are equipped to support children, young people and families
- Fostering genuine partnerships with Aboriginal families and communities
- Financial sustainability and robust governance
- Workforce development and culture
- Greater insights through data
- Strengthening vulnerable families
- Stakeholder engagement and public communications
- Delivering system capability and responsiveness
Their Futures Matter reform
The NSW Stronger Communities Investment Unit is delivering the NSW Government’s landmark reform, Their Futures Matter. Their ambitious, multi-agency investment agenda aims to build a smarter, more connected service system and improve outcomes for vulnerable children, young people and their families.
The investment unit is spearheading a future system that is more child and family focused, easier to navigate and able to bring together services from across government portfolios.
The NSW Stronger Communities Investment Unit continues to lead the cross-government strategy to improve outcomes for vulnerable children and families. Its work is underpinned by an investment approach, which uses a comprehensive human services data set and investment modelling to determine population groups most in need, in order to guide investment and social policy decision-making.
Read more about the TFM Human Services Data Set, our Investment Model, and strategies for priority populations on the investment approach page.
Transforming the service system
Through cross-sector collaboration, we are shaping a new outcomes-focused child and family service system that can better respond to the needs and aspirations of children and families.